Does hair feel like straw? Lots of you may have come across this word, and still don’t know what the true meaning is, well, in this article, I will take my time to explain the term “hair feels like straw” what it means and why you should prevent it and other effective methods to naturally improve your hair texture.
Hair feels rough and brittle, with a hint of straw about it. It can be a result of a lack of proper protein or vitamins in your diet as well as environmental factors such as too much chlorine or oil products.
When you have hair that feels like straw, it makes your hair so difficult to style, not only that, your hair becomes prone to breakage and this makes it frustrating. Most times, when your hair is dry and brittle, it’s then said to feel like straw.
Why does my Hair Feels Like Straw?
There is no specific reason why your hair feels like straw, at the time, there use to be lots of factors that make hair feels like straw and these may include. Application of excess heat, regular shampooing of your hair, improper conditioning, spending much time in the pool with your hair wet and open, regular treatment with chemicals, too much exposure to the sun rays, lack of adequate nutrition, and so on.
Without much spending of your time, I will briefly explain some of the reasons why your hair feels like straw, and I advise you not to miss any part of this explanation in other to achieve your main aim of reading this content.
What is Dry Hair?
Dry hair usually occurs when your scalp doesn’t generate enough oil to moisturize your hair, or your hair lets the moisture content escape. Dry hair usually results in hair feeling like straw, which ends up giving your hair a dull look.
Dryness can affect both men and women of any age, but you are more likely to develop it yourself as you grow older.
Natural, your hair consists of three different layers. When your hair is healthy, natural oil present in the outer layer will help the inner layers, they also help to reflect light making your hair shine. Luster and sheen help to identify healthy hair.
Reasons Why My Hair Feels Like Straw
1. Application of excess heat.
Most times application of excess heat to our hair causes an effect on the hair by making it coarse and even making it feel harder than sandpaper. You may end up experiencing such results when you use heat tools like curling irons, blow dryers, hair straighteners and many other items use in applying heat to the hair.
In addition, heat styling ends up sucking up the hair moisture and improves split ends, making it hard for you to rock your natural hair.
2. Improper conditioning
To have bouncy and shiny hair, then you must learn how to moisturize your hair. Your hair becomes too dry and brittle when you deprive it of moisture. At times, the use of a deep conditioner that does not fits your hair or skipping conditioning sessions will end up making you dry and make your hair feels like straw.
3. Spending excess time in the pool
Naturally, pool water contains amounts of elements such as chlorine, calcium magnesium, and other harmful chemicals. when your hair gets exposed to these chemicals, it causes damage to your hair cuticles and makes your becomes dry and brittle.
4. Exposure to the sun
Long-term exposure to the sun’s UV (ultra-violet ) rays will intensely damage your hair. The UV rays can affect the hair by lightening your hair’s natural color and also changing your hair’s texture from soft and making it dry and brittle.
5. You Use Too Much Shampoo
Shampooing is a necessity, but if not done in the wrong way, it can play a role by causing your hair to feel like straw (dry and brittle). “excessive washing can strip away the essential oils that your hair needs to retain moisture and overall shine, which can cause an overly dry and irritated scalp,” says celebrity hairstylist Annagjid “Kee” Taylor.
Taylor says that when it comes to hair-washing, then there is no unique rule that can be applied to everyone. How often you need to wash your hair all depends on your hair texture, natural oil production levels, and level of physical activity. She suggests paying close attention to your.
Shampoo that contains sulfate and (sulfate-free shampoos in some cases contain cleanser that decreases the hair moisture levels. Whenever you shampoo your hair, you are extracting natural oils from your hair and your scalp, which ends up upsetting your moisture balance and giving way to a straw-like texture.
If you are the type that shampoos your hair more than twice a week, you will have to regulate it because you are doing too much.
6. Regular chemical treatments
Regular chemical treatment may involve; dyeing, bleaching, gelling, or perming your hair regularly disrupts the natural balance of your hair oils, leading to hair dryness. This happens all because of the destruction chemical treatment may cause.
Your hair cuticles become exposed to hydrogen peroxide, sodium hydroxide, and ammonia which makes them dry and porous eventually causing your curls to look and feel brittle.
7. Lack of adequate nutrition
Inadequate nutrition causes your hair to be dry and rough. You should consume nutritional food to help supply nutrients to the hair and give you a healthy scalp. Recommendable, foods that are high in vitamins and minerals. Here are the vitamins necessary for your hair to be healthy.
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
- Biotin (vitamin B-7)
- Vitamin B-12
Home Remedies to Fix your Dry Hair
To start treating your dry hair, you will need to evaluate your hair routine. Being able to identify what is damaging your curls will allow you to make targeted changes that will yield positive results.
The easiest way to prevent hair loss is to take proper precautions and keep up with a healthy diet. It is also important to cleanse the scalp properly a few times a week, as this will help maintain your hair soft and shiny.
Below are some tips to fix your straw-like tresses
- Use sunblock or SPF- rays from the sun can be your hair’s worst enemy, that’s why you need sunblock to protect your hair. Sunblock that contains SPF 30 is recommendable. Another way to protect the hair is to wear a hat, beanie, or scarf while going out.
- Use heat tools sparingly- as I mentioned earlier, the use of split tools irresponsibly can result to split ends and dryness. Lowering the heat and using them less often will reduce the amount of your hair may incur. Nevertheless, you can air-dry your hair or set it using traditional rollers.
- Use moisturizers and conditioners- hydrating hair masks, serums, and conditioners will help in maximizing your hair moisture level. In addition, argon, almond, coconut, and olive oil are highly recommendable because they are naturally rich in moisture. You may end up being amazed when your nutrient-dense products fix your straw-like hair within minutes.
- Use swimming caps- whether you are the type that swims for pleasure or you are a swimmer by profession, it’s advisable you use a swimming cap to protect your natural hair from chemicals that are present in the water, thus reducing its drying effect can make your hair coarse.
- Consume a well-balanced diet regularly- our body needs a certain level of vitamins and minerals to grow healthy hair. If the nutrient is below the expected level then your hair could end up becoming brittle. Foods like spinach, egg, tangerines, fish, etc., are loaded with vitamins A and C which prevent dryness and moisten the scalp.
Is Hair Like Straw a Sign of Disease?
Aside from the fact that there may be different reasons for compliance with straw-like hair, it can also be a symptom of different disorders. You may be having the reflection of an important health problem in your hair. Therefore, there is a need to consider hair that feels like straw and tackle the issues as well. Below are some medical conditions that may be behind hair feel like straw issues, these include;
- Hypothyroidism: when you experience dry and fragile hair, it can be one of the first signs of the thyroid gland that does not produce sufficient thyroid hormone.
- Hypoparathyroidism: This occurs when the body cannot generate sufficient parathyroid hormone, it’s usually caused when the body suffers from calcium deficiency.
- Eating Disorder: when there is an eating disorder, malnutrition occurs. Malnutrition will make the hair dry and fragile.
There are many reasons for hair that feels like straw. We have significant experience and expertise in hair loss and transplantation. If you have hair issues such as hair loss, dryness, weakness, falling, and others, you should analyze your hair.